As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Most of us are accustomed to conventional generators because they’ve been around the longest. However, the advent of inverter generators is shaking things up the generator market.
Table of Best 2000 Watt Inverter Generator
Table of Best 3000 Watt Inverter Generator
Inverter generators offer significantly more benefits than conventional generators. For starters, inverter generators use newer technology that enables them to output a constant flow of current, which is important for the stability of any devices connected to the power unit. Needless to say, inverter generators are the perfect backup power solution for sensitive gadgets such as computers and electronics.
How inverter generators work
The way inverter generators work is what makes them starkly different than conventional generators. It’s also what makes them the better choice over the older conventional types.
Inverter generators work by generating multiple phase AC power at high frequency. For each engine rotation, the raw electrical energy produced is significantly more than you’d get from a conventional generator.
However this raw power is not in a form that can be directly utilized so it must first be converted into DC power. An inverter generator does this conversion ‘electronically’.
Finally, the DC power is then inverted back to 120V 60Hz AC output courtesy of an electronic inverter module.
Specific details about how each inverter generator model accomplishes the above process are tightly guarded by respective manufacturers but all inverter generators are substantially identical in overall mode of operation.
Why you should opt for inverter generators
Inverter Generator Advantages
- Inverter generators tend to be small and lightweight. They’re easy to store and can fit into a car trunk or RV.
- The engine speed automatically adjusts based on load, making the generator very fuel efficient.
- They’re safe for powering sensitive electronics.
- They run quieter than conventional generators.
Inverter Generator Disadvantages
- Inverter generators cost slightly more than comparable conventional models.
- The technology used in inverter generators is more complicated. While it has its benefits, it also causes maintenance issues.
- Inverter generators are limited to small loads. Getting a 10000W inverter generator is not easy.
- They must be used at full (or heavy) loads in order to extract maximum efficiency. Otherwise the generator will operate inefficiently.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.